Lead coordinators: Yen-Ting Hwang, Timothy Andrews, and Thorsten Mauritsen
Why further CFMIP experiments?
CFMIP has promoted continuously model intercomparison studies which can contribute to answer important scientific questions about roles of clouds and their coupling with circulation in a changing climate. After the CFMIP3 experimental design, connected to CMIP6, was frozen, we received newer ideas of multi-GCM experiments. They are thus not included in the CFMIP3/CMIP6 experiments, but will be supported and encouraged in CFMIP. The CFMIP SSC is now discussing how to help drive these informal CFMIP experiments forward.
Description of informal CFMIP experiments
Currently nine informal CFMIP experiments are actively on the move. Click to see a brief description of each experiment.
1. AMIP SST pattern (Contact: Tim Andrews)
2. NonlinMIP (Contact: Peter Good)
3. hotMIP (Contact: Thorsten Mauritsen)
4. ETIN-MIP (Contact: Sarah Kang)
5. Aquaplanet with Walker cell (Contact: Tapio Schneider)
6. AMIP Polar Amplification (Contact: Steven Sherwood)
7. SPOOKIE Phase II (Contact: Paulo Ceppi)
8. RCEMIP (Contact: Allison Wing)
9. ITCZ-MIP (Contact: Angie Pendergrass)
10. TRAC-MIP (Contact: Aiko Voigt and Michela Biasutti )